Thursday, September 1, 2016

Simple Woman's Daybook, almost a year after my last post






Outside my window: The sky is blue with tiny clouds. It is kind of shocking since it has been raining here for about a month. I wonder if this means I should hold off on my ark construction.


I am thinking about: The effects of being in perimenopause and the reverse of puberty and what it all means for me as a person and for my body. Unstoppable, irreversible, life changing.  I am the reverse of an 8 year old girl. Oh joy.


I am thankful for: My excellent dental insurance. I had to have 2 teeth pulled and a good deep cleaning as well as restoration for the holes left behind from said pulling. For all that (including a partial, god I’m old) it was only about $300.00. Insurance is a beautiful thing.


From the kitchen: My new low carb food love is spaghetti squash. Very easy to make (poke holes in it with a long knife and nuke for about 8 minutes, clean out the seeds and goo and voila instant pretend pasta)


I am wearing: Navy linen pants, matching navy linen jacket, teal blue silk shell, gold and lapis necklace, gold pearl earrings and grey trail runners. I have a work thing at a hospital later today and it is a looonnnggg walk. I’ll put on my sensible low heeled navy pumps once I get there.


I am creating: A grand rounds education for my neurosurgeons




I am going to: My niece’s wedding in a few weeks, I am so excited. I haven’t seen my extended family since my grandma died about 18 years ago and I am looking forward to catching up on their crazy antics.




I am reading: I just finished “The Obstacle is the Way” by Holiday. TOITW is a modern application of stoicism and it was excellent. I am now rereading "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius. I will be reading more of the source material for the book from the original sources, hello Seneca next.




  I am hoping to: Clean and reorganize my bedroom and bathroom. Both need some freshening up with some new paint and perhaps some rearranging of the furniture




 I am hearing: A conversation between a 1st year and a 4th year resident about one of the professors and what the professor generally wants and how to be successful in his class.




Around the house: My garden has gone to pot. All the rain and the heat have turned almost everything except the ferns yellow. Texas summers are hard to keep the garden together through.




One of my favorite things: I really love sitting in my big comfy chair with a book and using my dog as a back support pillow.




A few plans for the rest of the week: The week is almost over but for the long weekend I am planning on going domestic and cleaning everything not moving and cooking for next week’s lunches and dinners.




Words I am pondering: "The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way” Marcus Aurelius




Here is a picture I am sharing: Me at the zoo from Christmas time

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment